Friday, January 5, 2007

How False is Too False?

Before I start the series on Catholicism I want to give everyone a motto of sorts to keep in the back of your mind:

How False Is Too False?

I think any biblically-based Christian can see the outward issues of Catholicism. The statues, the Pope, praying to Mary and the saints, etc. Clearly some things are out of whack – but in the end, what does it all mean. At what point do bad doctrines become false doctrines? At what point does a bad church become a false church?

I believe Paul gave us the answer in the Book of Galatians:

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned! Gal 1:6-9

So the question becomes, is the Roman Catholic Church (RCC) preaching a “different gospel”. The answer will be up to you reading along.

I do not intend to make a hard case here, just present the facts as best I can so you can decide for yourself. I will post samplings of RCC doctrine from their official and approved sites as much as possible. And I am assuming a certain amount of biblical knowledge from my readers to discern what is or isn’t “false”.

I will tell you right now, that Catholic commenters may show up to defend their church. They will have “explanations” that sound remotely-biblical for what they believe or they will say you are misinterpreting their doctrine.

My advice – don’t take anything at face value. Weigh everything against the whole of scripture.

No comments: