Monday, October 16, 2006

The Assurance of Salvation, Part 2

Before looking at the second question from The Assurance of Salvation, Part I (“can I feel secure”), I would like to just post a few more verses that support the idea that salvation is secure.

This particular topic has come at me from a couple of different directions this week, you know how God does that sometimes?

The Assurance of Faith:

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Heb 11:1

let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. Heb 10:22-23

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life. 1 John 5:13

which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me. 2 Tim 1:12

Sealed with the Holy Spirit:

In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory. Eph 1:11-14

Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. 2 Cor 1:21-22

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Eph 4:30

An Inheritance:

But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:4-7

to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 1 Pet 1:4-5

God Will Persevere:

All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. John 6:37

For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified. Heb 10:14

Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them. Hebrews 7:25

Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, Jude 1:24

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. Phil 1:6

No comments: